Assists the Finance Supervisor with the maintenance of the books and records of the Housing Authority of the City of Lafayette Parish (LHA) in accordance with recognized accounting and auditing principles as prescribed by Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) or the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Performs Accounting work of routine difficulty involving the planning and organizing of fiscal operations. May perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and submits various reports, records and statistical information under the supervision of the Finance Supervisor.
- Assists in the reconciliation of bank records for all programs.
- Assists with the preparation of operating budgets for managed properties, tax credit programs, construction projects and HUD programs.
- Assists with general ledger close-out and preparation of financial reports for managed properties, construction projects and other programs.
- Assists in the preparation for and timely completion of a variety of audits that are associated with the LHA, its public housing properties, housing choice voucher program and tax credit properties.
- Researches and prepares special reports or correspondence on miscellaneous matters to assist Finance Supervisor.
- Prepares general ledger entry of miscellaneous cash receipts and daily recaps for all programs.
- Processes month end functions to ensure that managed properties, HUD programs and tax credit programs properly reflect interfund charges and associated expenses.
- Tracks fixed assets and maintains depreciation records for all programs.
- Reconciles general ledger for interfund activity.
Education, Training and Experience
- Four-year degree in Accounting or related field or a combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years responsible accounting experience.
- Experience in Microsoft Excel, Word, internet access and proficiency with10-key calculator.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Thorough knowledge of computer-based accounting systems.
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to process work quickly accurately and with changing priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Familiarity with local, state, federal laws, regulations and guidelines; modern principles and techniques of accounting, budgeting, cash management and financial reporting procedures.
- Familiarity with HUD Regulations, and LHA policies and procedures.
- Valid Louisiana driver's license and eligibility for coverage under LHA fleet auto insurance.
Materials and Equipment Used
Standard office materials and equipment
Employee does not have any supervisory responsibilities
Working Environment and Physical Responsibilities
Work is principally sedentary, but may involve some physical exertion, such as kneeling, crouching or lifting to obtain files and records and eye strain from working with computers and other office equipment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel within this classification.